Wednesday, Jun. 3, 2015    Login | Register           

Fireplace ashes blamed for mobile home fire

Ashes from a fireplace ignited a fire that destroyed a home in the Four Seasons mobile home community Monday afternoon, officials said.

A woman and child managed to escape their home on Dolphin Drive after a neighbor spotted the flames and alerted them, said Capt. Pete Nelms of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

The ashes were left on the porch of the residence and may have been re-ignited in part due to wind in the area, Nelms said.

Ashes from fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and the like should be placed in a metal container and extinguished with water to make sure they cannot re-ignite, Nelms said. Ashes can remain hot from two to three days after they are used if not properly extinguished, he added.

The fire destroyed the home and also damaged the siding of an adjacent home, Nelms said.

Location: 

Ad space area 4 internal

Sponsored Content

Opinion

This is the season of college graduations, and many people may be wondering what kinds of gifts would be most appropriate for young people leaving the world of academia and heading out to face the

Community

Midwest Food Bank (MFB), brought food and supplies to be processed at the Eaton’s Cooper Lighting warehouse to provide volunteer opportunities for employees at their home base May 11.

Sports

Starr’s Mill High School has won the Georgia Athletic Directors Association’s top award for the best all-around sports program in its state classification.

Lifestyle

On Saturday, June 6, the Southern Conservation Trust and Southside Cycling Club will be hosting the 3rd Annual National Trails Day event at The Ridge Nature Area.