Tuesday, Jul. 7, 2015    Login | Register           

Fireplace ashes blamed for mobile home fire

Ashes from a fireplace ignited a fire that destroyed a home in the Four Seasons mobile home community Monday afternoon, officials said.

A woman and child managed to escape their home on Dolphin Drive after a neighbor spotted the flames and alerted them, said Capt. Pete Nelms of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

The ashes were left on the porch of the residence and may have been re-ignited in part due to wind in the area, Nelms said.

Ashes from fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and the like should be placed in a metal container and extinguished with water to make sure they cannot re-ignite, Nelms said. Ashes can remain hot from two to three days after they are used if not properly extinguished, he added.

The fire destroyed the home and also damaged the siding of an adjacent home, Nelms said.

Location: 

Ad space area 4 internal

Government

Peachtree City’s tree contractor continues to work on the removal of trees throughout the community damaged in the microburst storm June 24.

Sponsored Content

Opinion

As the nation celebrates its independence, it is possible that we are more divided as a country that at any time since the War Between the States.

Community

A "Share The Care" caregiver support group meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 16, 2-3 p.m. at Azalea Estates, 105 Autumn Glen Circle in Fayetteville.

Sports

The Hurricane Junior Golf Tour traveled to Senoia June 6-7 for the Canongate Series #4. The Canongate Seminole Course played excellent host to two very competitive rounds of junior golf.

Lifestyle