Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015    Login | Register           

Fireplace ashes blamed for mobile home fire

Ashes from a fireplace ignited a fire that destroyed a home in the Four Seasons mobile home community Monday afternoon, officials said.

A woman and child managed to escape their home on Dolphin Drive after a neighbor spotted the flames and alerted them, said Capt. Pete Nelms of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

The ashes were left on the porch of the residence and may have been re-ignited in part due to wind in the area, Nelms said.

Ashes from fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and the like should be placed in a metal container and extinguished with water to make sure they cannot re-ignite, Nelms said. Ashes can remain hot from two to three days after they are used if not properly extinguished, he added.

The fire destroyed the home and also damaged the siding of an adjacent home, Nelms said.

Location: 

Ad space area 4 internal

Government

The Georgia Department of Transportation will suspend construction-related lane closures within five miles of a shopping mall or major shopping district on all interstates and major state routes be

Sponsored Content

Opinion

Sitting on the curb in front of 110 Flamingo Street, I smiled. It had been a good summer. No, the best summer ever.

Community

Peachtree City Recreation and Special Events will host a Back to School Bash Saturday, Aug. 1, at the Glenloch Recreation Center (601 Stevens Entry).

Sports

The Starr's Mill High Schools Pantherettes dance team had a great week at UDA Camp at Auburn University earlier this summer.

Lifestyle

“Ready, Set, Breakfast” is scheduled for Tuesday, Aug. 4, 10-11 a.m. at Fayette Senior Services’ Fayetteville location, The Life Enrichment Center, 4 Center Drive.