Monday, May. 25, 2015    Login | Register           

Fire kills S. Fayette man

A south Fayette man died Sunday, shortly after he was rescued from his burning home, county fire officials said.

Wilson Hightower, 67, was in the house when the first fire crew arrived at 165 Weldon Road at 7:18 a.m., said Lt. Donnie Davis of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

At the time, there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the attic and Hightower’s wife, Denise, was in the front yard telling firefighters that her husband was still inside.

Firefighters immediately entered the home and rescued Mr. Hightower from a bedroom. He was transported to Piedmont Fayette Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Mrs. Hightower was also taken to Piedmont Fayette Hospital for a medical evaluation, officials said.

The fire was extinguished within 30 minutes, but the home was a total loss, Davis said.

It was determined that the fire began on the sofa “as a result of the improper disposal of smoking materials,” fire officials said in a news release.

Location: 

Comments

BHH's picture

It's easy to neglect.

Test them frequently and keep them working.

Maybe a large message on everyone's phone bill could remind them to "TEST THE SMOKE ALARM" each month.

pyramidman

Ad space area 4 internal

Opinion

The problem: Cousin Alex and Cousin Ryan wanted to make snow cones, but their 3-year-old electric snow cone machine broke just after it was loaded with ice cubes.

Community

The Newnan-Coweta Historical Society is hosting “Quilting for Kids,” a summer camp for boys and girls 8-13 years of age.

Sports

The Starr's Mill Panthers boys golf team finished fourth in Monday's AAAAA state tournament. The McIntosh Chiefs finished eighth as a team. Cambridge won the team title with a +6 (290).

Lifestyle

Tricia Stearns, a local writer and director of the Peachtree City Farmers Market and Community Garden, expands her creative ventures with her first photography exhibit at Clayton Arts Gallery with