Wednesday, May. 27, 2015    Login | Register           

Fire kills S. Fayette man

A south Fayette man died Sunday, shortly after he was rescued from his burning home, county fire officials said.

Wilson Hightower, 67, was in the house when the first fire crew arrived at 165 Weldon Road at 7:18 a.m., said Lt. Donnie Davis of the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

At the time, there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the attic and Hightower’s wife, Denise, was in the front yard telling firefighters that her husband was still inside.

Firefighters immediately entered the home and rescued Mr. Hightower from a bedroom. He was transported to Piedmont Fayette Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Mrs. Hightower was also taken to Piedmont Fayette Hospital for a medical evaluation, officials said.

The fire was extinguished within 30 minutes, but the home was a total loss, Davis said.

It was determined that the fire began on the sofa “as a result of the improper disposal of smoking materials,” fire officials said in a news release.

Location: 

Comments

BHH's picture

It's easy to neglect.

Test them frequently and keep them working.

Maybe a large message on everyone's phone bill could remind them to "TEST THE SMOKE ALARM" each month.

pyramidman

Ad space area 4 internal

Sponsored Content

Opinion

It’s time for those who find they need to go to summer school to be sure they’re signed up.   I decided to go to summer school the summer between my junior and senior year.

Sports

Gold Medal Training Camp with U.S. Olympian Ken Chertow in taking place this week at Wrestling U, 611 Hwy. 74 South in Peachtree City.

Lifestyle

Three state agencies will be side-by-side this summer, hoping to get Georgia citizens to make this a “Summer of Safety” on the highways and waterways from Ringgold to St.