Sunday, Jul. 5, 2015    Login | Register           

Space heater blamed for house fire

An unattended space heater near combustible material was blamed for a fire that damaged a home in north Fayette County early yesterday afternoon, officials have said.

No one was home at 160 West Lake Drive when the fire started, but a neighbor spotted it and called 911 just before 1 p.m. June 22, according to the Fayette County Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

When fire crews first arrived there was heavy smoke and fire coming from a basement window, officials said. The fire was extinguished and contained to the basement, but the upper level of the home had some smoke and heat damage from the blaze, officials said.

One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion but was later released from Piedmont Fayette Hospital, officials said.

The department reminds residents to always shut off electrical heat devices when they are not in use, and also to avoid using combustible materials near space heaters.

Location: 

Comments

Cyclist's picture

Good gawd!!!!

Caution - The Surgeon General has determined that constant blogging is an addiction that can cause a sedentary life style.

I can't imagine needing any heat whatsoever.

They are used for more things than heat for humans!

Drying out mold. drying clothes, (no dryer) drying paint or repairs, etc.

Has nothing to do with stupidity though!

Cyclist's picture

Leaving a space heater on in the summer about $10. Leaving it unattended nd near combustible material is.......well is priceless and not mention stupid. BTW, I see your high school class of 1936 was recently recognized. Congrats......you old goat. :-)

Caution - The Surgeon General has determined that constant blogging is an addiction that can cause a sedentary life style.

Yes, I feel 93!
We didn't have space heaters, they were called fireplaces and quilts!

I think you misunderstood my comment about stupid. Yes the fire was caused by stupidity, but that has nothing to do with the use of a space heater safely.

BHH's picture

Is your mortgage under water?

pyramidman

Maintenance of appliances as well as wiring is the key to protect yourself from such type of incidents. Most of the people never care about the proper <a href="http://water-heater-installation.net/how-much-should-be-the-cost-of-wate... maintenance of water heaters </a> They like to relay on the warranty instead of being correcting the things by their self.

Ad space area 4 internal

Government

The Fayette County Republican Party monthly breakfast is scheduled for Saturday, July 11, at the FCRP Event Center, 174 Glynn Street North in Fayetteville.

Sponsored Content

Opinion

As the nation celebrates its independence, it is possible that we are more divided as a country that at any time since the War Between the States.

Community

Amazing Grace Community Resource Center is sponsoring a Community Back-To-School Bash scheduled for Saturday, July 25, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at 949 Pointe South Pkwy.

Sports

The Hurricane Junior Golf Tour traveled to Senoia June 6-7 for the Canongate Series #4. The Canongate Seminole Course played excellent host to two very competitive rounds of junior golf.

Lifestyle