Friday, Aug. 28, 2015    Login | Register           

McIntosh evacuated briefly for small fire

McIntosh High School was evacuated around 2 p.m. today when a small fire on the roof sent smoke billowing into the building.

Students waited in groups on the grass near Walt Banks Road while Peachtree City fire crews worked to find and extinguish the blaze.

The fire was caused by insulation that caught fire as a roofing crew was working on the building, fire officials said.

No one was injured and after fire crews removed smoke from the building, students filed back in around 2:50 p.m.

Firemen had to cut into the roof deck to access the burning insulation and extinguish the flames before they could spread, explained Assistant Fire Marshal Chris Campbell. The affected area was about eight feet by eight feet in size, he said.

The fire department was alerted to the blaze by a fire alarm that signaled trouble in the area of the auditorium and gym, Campbell said.

McIntosh Principal Lisa Fine commended the students “for their superior conduct and cooperation during the evacuation.”

Location: 

Ad space area 4 internal

Government

The Georgia Department of Labor announced this week that the unemployment rate in the Three Rivers region in July was 7.1 percent, up five-tenths of a percentage point from 6.6 percent in June.

Sponsored Content

Opinion

When Ronald Reagan announced in November 1994 he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, even some of his most ardent political opponents paused to wish him well.

Community

The 26th Annual Native American Festival & Powwow, sponsored by the Butts County Historical Society, is scheduled for Sept. 12-13 at Indian Springs Hotel/Museum, 1807 Hwy. 42 S.

Sports

McIntosh 16, Fayette Co. 7 The Tigers got on the board first on a 1-yard run by Corey Andrews in the first quarter. The score remained 7-0 until the fourth quarter.

Lifestyle

Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Gary W. Black is alerting Georgians to the recall of certain Jansal Valley Raw Macadamia Nuts distributed in Georgia due to potential health risk.