Saturday, Aug. 1, 2015    Login | Register           

McIntosh evacuated briefly for small fire

McIntosh High School was evacuated around 2 p.m. today when a small fire on the roof sent smoke billowing into the building.

Students waited in groups on the grass near Walt Banks Road while Peachtree City fire crews worked to find and extinguish the blaze.

The fire was caused by insulation that caught fire as a roofing crew was working on the building, fire officials said.

No one was injured and after fire crews removed smoke from the building, students filed back in around 2:50 p.m.

Firemen had to cut into the roof deck to access the burning insulation and extinguish the flames before they could spread, explained Assistant Fire Marshal Chris Campbell. The affected area was about eight feet by eight feet in size, he said.

The fire department was alerted to the blaze by a fire alarm that signaled trouble in the area of the auditorium and gym, Campbell said.

McIntosh Principal Lisa Fine commended the students “for their superior conduct and cooperation during the evacuation.”

Location: 

Ad space area 4 internal

Government

The Georgia Department of Transportation will suspend construction-related lane closures within five miles of a shopping mall or major shopping district on all interstates and major state routes be

Sponsored Content

Opinion

Sitting on the curb in front of 110 Flamingo Street, I smiled. It had been a good summer. No, the best summer ever.

Community

Peachtree City Recreation and Special Events will host a Back to School Bash Saturday, Aug. 1, at the Glenloch Recreation Center (601 Stevens Entry).

Sports

The Starr's Mill High Schools Pantherettes dance team had a great week at UDA Camp at Auburn University earlier this summer.

Lifestyle

“Ready, Set, Breakfast” is scheduled for Tuesday, Aug. 4, 10-11 a.m. at Fayette Senior Services’ Fayetteville location, The Life Enrichment Center, 4 Center Drive.