Monday, May. 25, 2015    Login | Register           

McIntosh evacuated briefly for small fire

McIntosh High School was evacuated around 2 p.m. today when a small fire on the roof sent smoke billowing into the building.

Students waited in groups on the grass near Walt Banks Road while Peachtree City fire crews worked to find and extinguish the blaze.

The fire was caused by insulation that caught fire as a roofing crew was working on the building, fire officials said.

No one was injured and after fire crews removed smoke from the building, students filed back in around 2:50 p.m.

Firemen had to cut into the roof deck to access the burning insulation and extinguish the flames before they could spread, explained Assistant Fire Marshal Chris Campbell. The affected area was about eight feet by eight feet in size, he said.

The fire department was alerted to the blaze by a fire alarm that signaled trouble in the area of the auditorium and gym, Campbell said.

McIntosh Principal Lisa Fine commended the students “for their superior conduct and cooperation during the evacuation.”

Location: 

Ad space area 4 internal

Opinion

The problem: Cousin Alex and Cousin Ryan wanted to make snow cones, but their 3-year-old electric snow cone machine broke just after it was loaded with ice cubes.

Community

The Newnan-Coweta Historical Society is hosting “Quilting for Kids,” a summer camp for boys and girls 8-13 years of age.

Sports

The Starr's Mill Panthers boys golf team finished fourth in Monday's AAAAA state tournament. The McIntosh Chiefs finished eighth as a team. Cambridge won the team title with a +6 (290).

Lifestyle

Tricia Stearns, a local writer and director of the Peachtree City Farmers Market and Community Garden, expands her creative ventures with her first photography exhibit at Clayton Arts Gallery with