Coweta group breaks ground to commemorate Civil War battlefield
A groundbreaking ceremony held along Millard Farmer Road Nov. 3 marked the continuation of longtime efforts to protect a Civil War battle site and the beginning of the effort to make the 105 acres on which the Battle of Brown’s Mill was fought a place that eventually be open to the public.
Speaking at the ceremony were Coweta County Commissioner Tim Lassetter, former Commissioners James McGuffey, state Rep. Lynn Smith and Ga. Transportation Board District 3 representative Sam Wellborn.
The battlefield site will be completed in four phases. The first phase includes a total of 4,300 linear feet of trail.
The Battle of Brown’s Mill took place on July 30, 1864 when 2,700 Union troops under the command of Gen. Edward McCook and a raiding party led by Gen. George Stoneman fought 1,800 Confederate troops led by Gen. Joseph Wheeler. The five-hour battle resulted in the deaths of 100 Union soldiers and 50 Confederate soldiers. Southern troops won the battle and captured 1,200 Union troops. The Union troops had been sent by Gen. William Sherman to destroy the rail lines supplying the confederate Army of Tennessee that was defending Atlanta.
The 105.48-acre site on Millard Farmer Road was purchased by the county from Inland Container in 2001 for $450,000 in an effort to preserve the property’s historical significance.
Subsequent to the purchase the site has received a number of grants from sources such as the Ga. Dept. of Community Affairs, the Ga. Recreational Trails Program, the Ga. Dept. of Natural Resources and, more recently, a Transportation Enhancement grant from the Ga. Dept. of Transportation to reimburse 80 percent of Phase 1 construction costs up to $300,000.