Newnan cops urge safe shopping
It’s the time of year when many businesses do a large portion of the year’s business. And with all the shoppers cashing in on holiday bargains, police in Newnan are reminding the public to stay safe and be especially vigilant during the holiday shopping season.
“Shopping during the holiday season can present a unique danger,” said city public information officer Gina Snider. “The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. Taking a few prevention measures can help keep your holiday season joyous.”
Snider provided the following tips from the Newnan Police Department to help shoppers be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season. The tip list includes:
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member and park in a well-lighted area.
- Dress casually and comfortably.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
- Always carry your driver's license or identification along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
- Keep cash in your front pocket.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. Do not leave your purse or wallet in a shopping cart and walk away from the cart or turn your back on the cart.
- Keep your purse zipped up or snapped closed to prevent easy access.
- Take extra steps to protect your PIN number when entering for a purchase.
- When at an ATM shield your activity with your body as much as possible.
- If you see someone hanging around the ATM that you are about to use, go to another location.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, con-artists may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.