Local churches plan Christmas services
Christmas 2012. It’s almost here. Christian churches all over the world are readying for the big day, the day celebrated by all Christians as the birth of Jesus Christ. From large community gatherings to small church services, all will celebrate this most holy of all holy days.
The following churches in our area have announced plans for Christmas events and services.
• A special community event is being planned by Rolling Hills Baptist Church which will celebrate Christmas with a “Christmas by Candlelight” on Monday, Dec. 24 , from 6-6:30 p.m. at the Fayetteville Town Square. Activities will include singing Christmas carols at the Gazebo, reading the Christmas story, and singing Silent Night by candlelight. The event is open to the public. For more information on Rolling Hills, see the church website at http://WheresTheSteeple.org.
• All Saints Anglican Church in Peachtree City will begin Christmas activities with Advent Lessons and Carols on Sunday, Dec. 23 at 10:30 a.m.
On Monday, Christmas Eve, a family service will be held at 5 p.m. with nursery provided. At 10:30 p.m. a service with the topic, “Story Behind the Carols” will be held and at 11 p.m., a midnight candlelight Mass will be held.
On Christmas Day. Holy Communion will be celebrated at 10 a.m.
The Children’s Epiphany Pageant will be held on Jan. 6, 2013.
• Bethany United Methodist Church in north Fayette County will have a Christmas Eve service on Dec. 24 at 6 p.m. The church is at the intersection of Rivers/Milam roads and Lee’s Lake Road. For information, call 770-964-6999 or visit bethanyumcfayetteville.weebly.com.
• Brooks Christian Church will hold a candlelight communion service on Christmas Eve at 6 p.m. Worship will be held in the historic sanctuary located in downtown Brooks. Scripture and Christmas carols will highlight the worship experience. For more information, visit www.brookschristian.org. ;
• Brooks United Methodist Church will celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas Eve at 6 p.m. with a candlelight service. There will be a nursery for children ages three and under. Brooks UMC is at 119 Morgan Mill Rd., three miles from Starr’s Mill on the corner of Morgan Mill Road and Ga. 85 Connector. For more information visit www.brooksumc.com or call 770-719-7593.
• Christ Our Shepherd Lutheran Church in Peachtree City will have regular worship on Sunday, Dec. 23, with guest preacher Jeremy Hall, new director of youth and family ministries.
On Christmas Eve, the church will offer four services at 4:30, 6:30, 8:30 and 10:30, all featuring candlelight communion. Pastor Fritz Wiese will give the sermon, “A Manger Scene on the Move.” At 4:30 the musical leadership will be by the children who will sing and play. At 6:30, the GraceFlock worship band will perform. At 8:30, the service will feature instrumental and vocal soloists, and the 10:30 service will feature the Sanctuary Choir and Joyful Noise Ringers.
On Tuesday, Christmas Day, a Christmas Day communion service will be held (casual dress). Handbell soloist Sarah Juhasz will provide music.
On Sunday, Dec. 30, services at 8:30 and 11 a.m. will feature Lessons and Carols with Communion. Christ Our Shepherd is on the corner of Ga. Highway 54 and Peachtree Parkway.
• Church of the Holy Cross Charismatic Episcopal Church in Fayetteville invites the community to attend a traditional candlelight service at the church, 140 Kathi Ave. in Fayetteville at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve. The service will include reading of the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke, traditional carols, Holy Communion and candle lighting. More information and directions are at www.holycrosschurch.wordpress.com.
• Community Christian Church, 349 Kenwood Rd. in Fayetteville, will have their Christmas service at 11 a.m. on Dec. 23. They will be worshipping with their guest minister Rev. Amy BeVille, singer and songwriter from Rome, Ga. Phone 770-460-9745 for more information.
• Dogwood Church in Tyrone will present carols and the Christmas story at the regular Sunday worship services on Dec. 23 at 9:30 and 11 a.m., and at Christmas Eve services Dec. 24 at 3:30 and 5 p.m. The church is at 975 Ga. Hwy. 74, Tyrone. For information, call 770-487-6691 or visit dogwoodchurch.org.
• The Episcopal Church of the Nativity in Fayetteville will begin Christmas events with the presentation of a Christmas play on Saturday, Dec. 22. “A Mouse Christmas” will be presented at 4 and 7 p.m. in the sanctuary of the church, located at 130 Antioch Road, just off Ga. Highway 85. The program will be open to the public. No admission price will be charged, although an offering will be received
Christmas services will be held on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. The Christmas Eve service, a choral Eucharist, will begin at 11 p.m. Monday (Dec. 24). The service on Christmas Day will begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday (Dec. 25).
• Fayette Family Church, 1729 Hwy 54 West, Fayetteville, will have a family Christmas candlelight/communion service at 10:45 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 23, with Christmas carols, children’s Christmas story, and more. Nursery is provided (birth - 3).
• Fayetteville First United Methodist Church will have Christmas Eve services at 4, 6, and 11 p.m. in the church sanctuary. Childcare will be available at 4 and 6 p.m. only. The church is at 175 Lanier Ave. in downtown Fayetteville. For information, call 770-461-4313 or visit www.fayettevillefirst.com.
• First Presbyterian Church of Peachtree City will have Christmas Eve candlelight services at 5 and 8 p.m. On Sunday, Dec. 30, there will be only the 11 a.m. service and no Sunday school classes will be held. The church is at 206 Willowbend Rd., Peachtree City. For information, call 770-487-7757 or visit www.firstpresptc.com.
• Inman United Methodist Church, 151 Hills Bridge Road, Fayetteville, will host Christmas Eve services at 5 and 9 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 24. The community is invited to attend. For additional information, contact the church office, 770 461-2123.
• Hopewell United Methodist Church in Tyrone invites the community to participate in a “kid friendly” communion service at 5:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve. This is the second year the church has presented an opportunity for families to come and worship together and share communion. Last year’s service was well received and is fast becoming a treasured event at the church. A traditional candlelight service will be held at 7:30 p.m. The church is at 351 Jenkins Rd. directly across from Sandy Creek High.
• New City Church will present “Proclaim,” a drama on the life of Jesus Christ Monday, Dec. 24, at the 5 and 6:30 p.m. services at its north campus location, 3355 Old Jonesboro Rd., Fairburn. For information, call 770-964-2138 or visit newcitychurch.net.
• North Fayette United Methodist Will have a candlelight and communion service at 11 p.m. NFUMC is at 847 New Hope Rd. in Fayetteville. For questions, call the church office, 770-461-2409, or visit nfumc.com.
• Peachtree City United Methodist Church will have three Christmas Eve services this year. At 5 p.m. a family candlelight service will be held with childcare available for babies through pre-k.
Traditional candlelight communion services will be held at 7 and 9 p.m.. Childcare for babies through pre-k will be available at the 7 p.m. service only. The church is at 225 Robinson Rd., Peachtree City. For information, call 770-487-6499 or visit www.ptcumc.org.
• Prince of Peace Lutheran Church will have four services on Christmas Eve. The 4 p.m. family friendly, less formal service will feature a live Nativity in the Life Center with Chester the camel and his friends. Services at 7, 9, and 11 p.m. will feature music on the pipe organ, special music, traditional carols and Holy Communion. The church is on Ga. Highway 314 in Fayetteville, between Lowe’s and The Pavilion. For information, call 770-461-3403 or visit www,princeofpeacefayette.com.
• Christmas Eve Services at Providence United Methodist Church are being planned for all ages and worship styles. The 4 p.m. family service is child-friendly with music and a short message young children can understand. The 6 p.m. contemporary service is led by a praise band with current versions of traditional Christmas carols and a message, while the 8 p.m. traditional service includes choir, handbells, carols and a message. Both the 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. services include candlelight and Holy Communion. Free childcare is provided in the children’s building for all worship services; parents should arrive a few minutes early to sign into the Parent Pager security system. For more information, go to www.provumc.info or call the church office, 770-719-8800.
• Redemption Fellowship will present “Joy to the World,” Sunday, Dec. 23 at 5 p.m., followed by a candlelight service. The church is at 418 Ga. Hwy. 279, Fayetteville. For information, call 770-460-1220 or visit www.redemptionfellowship.org.
• St. Andrew’s in the Pines Episcopal Church will have Christmas Services beginning with a Children’s Pageant and Holy Eucharist on Monday, Dec 24 at 4:30 p.m. A traditional Christmas Eve service with a full choir and Holy Eucharist Rite II will begin at 10 p.m. with Carols and Instrumentals.
On Christmas Day, Dec. 25, Holy Eucharist Rite I will be celebrated at 10 a.m.
On Sunday, Dec. 30, the church will have a service of Lessons and Carols with Eucharist beginning at 10 a.m. St. Andrew’s is at 316 N. Peachtree Parkway, Peachtree City. All are welcome.
• St. Christopher Hellenic Orthodox Church, 313 Dividend Drive in Peachtree City, invites the community to Nativity services as follows:
Sunday, Dec. 23: Orthros, 7:45-9 a.m.; Divine Liturgy, 9-10:15 a.m.; community Christmas program and Lenten luncheon, 10:15- noon.
Monday, Dec. 24: Great Hours of the Nativity of our Lord, 4-5:15 p.m.; Vespers for the Nativity of our Lord, 5:15- 6 p.m.; Divine Liturgy of St. Basil for the Nativity of our Lord, 6-7:30 p.m .
Tuesday, Dec. 25: Orthros, 9-10 a.m.; Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom for the Nativity of our Lord, 10-11:15 a.m.; “Feed the Homeless” at St. John the Wonderworker Church in Atlanta, 12:30-1:30 p.m. Visit www.saintchristopherhoc.org for further details.
• Saint Mary Magdalene Catholic Church in Newnan will begin its holiday Mass schedule Saturday, Dec. 22, with a 5 p.m. Vigil Mass.
Sunday Masses on Dec. 23 will be at 9 a.m. and noon with nursery available at both services.
Christmas Eve Masses will be at 4 p.m. (Vigil Mass), 6 p.m. (Children’s Vigil Mass), and a musical prelude at 11:30 p.m. before the Midnight Mass. Nursery will be available at the 4 and 6 p.m. Masses.
On Christmas Day, Masses will be celebrated at 9 a.m. and noon.
On Saturday, Dec. 29, beginning the Feast of the Holy Family, a Vigil Mass will be celebrated at 5 p.m.
On Sunday, Dec. 30, Masses will be celebrated at 9 a.m. and noon. Nursery is available at both Masses.
On Monday, Dec. 31, celebrating Mary,. Mother of God, a Vigil Mass will be at 5 p.m.
On Tuesday, Jan. 1, Mass will be at noon.
The church is at 3 Village Rd., Newnan, near the fire station at the Lower Fayetteville Road- Ga. Highway 154 intersection. For information, call 770-253-1888 or visit www.smmcatholic.org.
• St. Paul Lutheran Church, 700 Ardenlee Parkway in Peachtree City, will have a school/Advent Christmas program at 7 p.m. tonight, Dec. 19.
A Christmas Eve candlelight service will be held at 6 p.m. on Dec. 24, and a Christmas Day service with Holy Communion will be held Tuesday, Dec. 25, at 10 a.m.
On Sunday, Dec. 30, the church will have a combined worship service at 10 a.m. and on Monday, Dec. 31, at 7 p.m. a New Year’s Eve service with Holy Communion will be held.
• Word of God Lutheran Church (NALC and LCMC), 303 Kelly Drive, Suite 10, Peachtree City, will have a worship service with Holy Communion Sunday, Dec. 23, at 9:30 a.m. A nursery will be available. A Christmas reception is planned for 10:45 a.m.
On Dec. 24, candlelight Christmas Eve services with Holy Communion and Christmas music performances by choir, soloists and instrumentals will be held at 4 and 7 p.m. Nursery will be available. On Dec. 25, Christmas Day, a casual morning worship service will be offered at 10:30 a.m. For more information, call 770-897-4508, or visit www.woglutheran.org.