Peachtree City UPDATES - golf cart crossings, low speed vehicles, construction projects, and more!
Path & Auto Safety Reminder – Watch for Crossings at Best Buy
Now that the bridge and tunnels open on Highway 54 West, westbound automobile drivers at the Huddleston Road/54 West intersection are reminded to watch for crosswalk users by Best Buy before making a right into the parking lot. Right-turning automobiles who turn on red must come to a full stop and make sure the crosswalk is clear of all traffic, both pedestrian and cart, before turning. By the same token, all path users in this location, including golf carts, must obey the crosswalk signal at the Best Buy driveway and only proceed on the “walk” signal.
Path Use Reminder – Low Speed Vehicles, limits on streets & paths
With energy rebates available, the City is seeing a rise in Low Speed Vehicles (LSVs) in Peachtree City. An LSV is similar to a golf cart, but can go faster than 20 miles per hour and must have many additional safety features. LSVs must be registered with the County like an automobile, must be insured, must have an amber strobe light on top, and may only be driven by licensed drivers. By Federal law, these vehicles are allowed on any street with a speed limit of 35 mph or lower, and may cross state highways if going to and from streets with a speed limit lower than 35 mph. To be allowed on Peachtree City’s paths, LSV’s must have a factory-installed switch to govern the speed at 20 mph or lower and be operating in that mode. Several residents have purchased LSVs from out of state dealers that do not know Georgia Law and have not equipped the vehicles to comply with local requirements.
Building Department contract with SAFEbuilt in effect
Beginning this month, Peachtree City has contracted Building Department inspection and plan review services with SAFEbuilt, the state’s leading provider of building department services for public agencies. Residents and builders will still obtain permits at the 153 Willowbend Road offices, and can continue to call 770-487-8901 for inquiries.
Junior Police Academy coming in June
The Peachtree City Police Department is accepting applications for a Junior Police Academy class. This class will be held Monday through Friday, June 14- 25, from noon until 4:00p.m. It is open to young people age 12 to 16, and topics covered will include criminal investigations, patrol, traffic stops, accident investigations, use of force, and crime scene processing. Student ride-alongs are also part of the class.
Bargain Books at the PTC Library
The Friends of the Library Corporation is holding a Summer Reading Sale at the Library. Used books are half-price (hardbacks $1.00, paperbacks are as little as 50 cents). Book bags to carry them home or to the beach are only $8.00. All proceeds benefit the Library. Look for sale books on the shelves near the Reference Desk. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on Friends of the Library membership.
City Facilities - Memorial Day hours, closings
All City administrative offices will be closed on Monday, May 31, in observance of Memorial Day. The Peachtree City Library will also be closed on Sunday, May 30. Kedron Fieldhouse will be closed on Monday, but both pools will be open on Monday: Kedron pools, 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Glenloch pool, 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- City Hall & Library Parking Lot repaving – begins Friday, May 21, and will continue for the next three weeks, primarily on weekends with some evening work possible on weekdays. Residents should watch signs for alternate parking locations as this project progresses.
- Kedron Drive Repaving & Patching – The contractor is scheduled to begin as early as next week on this project. Drivers should use caution when construction equipment and workers are present.
- Right-of-way Mowing - The contractor has completed the first of three mowing cycles for City secondary streets. The second round should begin in June and July. View mowing schedule . . .
- Paschall / Willow / Hwy 74 Tunnel & Path Connections – The contractor will begin work on June 1 and should complete the project by August 31, weather permitting.
- Wisdom Road Stormwater Project – Please continue to use caution in this area until the final fencing is installed in the next three weeks.